If interested download both the app and checkout the web page:
The app offers offline support for both guided and independent trekkers.
Guest post by Ashish Shrestha:
Phuraphuti Sherpa runs the homely Namaste Lodge at Monjo, one of the many small villages that trekkers pass through on their way to Everest Base Camp.
The number of trekkers is close to fifty thousand per year, but only a handful know the fact that Phuraputi also runs a small kitchen garden and serves organic vegetables to her guests.
As she says, “I run a small lodge but I make sure every trekkers leave happily when they go. I even grow my own vegetables and serve organic food. I hope that now even small lodges like mine get equal opportunity to be noticed!”
She is one of the 80 lodges in the Everest Region that has signed up for HoneyGuide, an online community that connects mountain lovers with people who depend on the mountains for their livelihood.
The inspiration behind HoneyGuide is to:
- Make sure that porters, guides, and lodges get paid equitably and get business transparently.
- Make sure that trekkers get enough options and information to run a trek the way they see fit: from going independent without any bookings to a fully guided trek.
To these ends, HoneyGuide is:
- A Trek Planning Tool with:
- Comprehensive and Up to date information on Everest Base Camp Trek
- Complete Checklist for planning a trek in Nepal
- Health and Safety Advice for Trekking in Nepal
- A Trek Booking Tool with:
- Transparent Trek Booking starting with minimum services and options to add on extra services. See Gokyo Lakes and Gokyo Ri Trek.
- Capacity to Book Flights, Lodges, and Guides separately. Email addresses and Phone Numbers are also available to aid communication.
- Reviews and Ratings to ensure that lodges, and guides get business not based on kickbacks, but hard work and good service.
- A Trek Companion that:
- Introduces you to the Attractions, Mountains, Birds, Flowers, and Cultural Sightings of the villages you will pass through. See Namche for example.
- Breakdown of what you can expect on each Day of your trek. For example see Day 8 of the Everest Base Camp Trek.
- Provides all of the above in an offline Mobile App “Trekking in Nepal”. Here are the download links for Android and iOS devices.
(The iOS app is not free right now. Contact Dakshina with the Referral Code BestHike, and we will send you a promo code for iOS devices.)
Ashish Shrestha from Kathmandu grew up surrounded by lofty peaks and early developed a love for mountains. He’s a co-founder of the project